Khao Sok National Park – A Jungle Adventure In Southern Thailand
Khao Sok National Park is a must-visit destination if you are looking for an exciting jungle adventure in Thailand. It is one of the most pristine rainforests left in Thailand and offers a great escape from city life. You can explore its lush green rainforest, crystal-clear streams, and stunning waterfalls with ease.
In this blog post, we will take you through everything you need to know about Khao Sok National Park: what to see, how to get there as well as general information about things to do and accommodation.
Why Visit Khao Sok National Park?
Khao Sok National Park is on the Southern tip of Thailand in Surat Thani province. The park covers an area of around 2,600 square kilometers. As the name suggests, it has a mountainous landscape, with the highest peak being Khao Phra Si Hua, at 543 meters. It is an incredibly stunning park and one of the best places to explore in Thailand. Read more about the history of Khao Sok.
Khao Sok has rich biodiversity and is home to many rare and endangered species. The rainforest is home to a variety of plants and animals and is one of the most beautiful natural areas in Thailand. It has become extremely popular among tourists, especially because it’s easily accessible from Phuket.
Famous for its beautiful waterfalls, limestone cliffs, and lush rainforests. Many species of birds and insects can be found in Khao Sok National Park. Visitors can also try to spot wild animals such as macaques and elephants. The park is also home to a great number of temples and palaces.
How to Get to Khao Sok National Park?
The best way of getting to Khao Sok National Park is by flying to Phuket airport and getting a transfer to the park. It’s around 3 hours by minibus and is the nearest airport, so if you’re planning on staying a few days, it’s best to book a tour that includes transfers with your accommodation.
If you are coming from Bangkok, you can take a bus that goes to Phuket. This trip takes around 13 hours, so it’s best to book a night bus so that you can sleep through the ride. There are also trains that go from Bangkok to Surat Thani. This is a nice journey, but it’s long, so keep that in mind if you’re planning to travel with children.
You can check out more transfer info and timetables here.
When to visit Khao Sok National Park?
The best time to visit Khao Sok National Park is from November to February. This is the dry season when most of the waterfalls are dry. However, be prepared to deal with the hot sun. During this season, the temperatures are between 26 and 28 degrees Celsius.
If you want to avoid the crowds, you can visit the national park anytime between March and October. The weather is humid, but you can expect a more bearable heat. The waterfalls are also full during this time.
For a more in-depth guide visit our When to Visit guide here.
What to See in Khao Sok National Park Thailand
Khao Sok has a lot to offer. You can look out for beautiful waterfalls, trek through lush rainforests, and take a walk on a suspension bridge. There are also many day tours, where you can go to the surrounding areas like Thale Noi Lake, Cheow Lan Lake, and the Praphor Wail Phra Barom Buddhist Temple.
The park is home to a huge freshwater lake called Cheow Lan lake, and some of the highest waterfalls in Thailand which are especially beautiful during the rainy season. Located all around the park, it’s easy to visit the waterfalls and then head back to your hotel for dinner. Since some of the waterfalls are located pretty deep in the jungle, you might need to hire a guide to show you the way.
The southern part of Khao Sok National Park is home to a stunning valley known as the Sakaerat Valley. This valley is home to a variety of plants and animals and is extremely beautiful. You can also do a bit of hiking in the Valley, so it’s a great place to spend the day.
Besides these two areas, the Park is also home to many limestone caves, Cheow Lan Lake, and the Khao Sok Botanical Garden. You can also explore the nearby ancient Srivijaya relics.
For more inspiration on things to do in Khao Sok national park, here’s a guide on the 7 Best Things To Do in Khao Sok.
Where to stay in Khao Sok National Park?
There are a number of places to stay at Khao Sok National Park in Thailand. You can stay in basic guesthouses or even stay in jungle treehouses.
But if you want a more relaxed and luxurious stay, you can choose from several hotels and resorts including Elephant Hills where we offer luxury floating bungalows directly on the river. As well as the first-class accommodation, Elephant Hills also includes rainforest and jungle adventures with your booking – to find out more check out our recommended tours page.
Tips for your jungle adventure in Khao Sok National Park
- Time Your Visit Wisely – Khao Sok National Park is open all year round, but you’ll have more options for activities during certain times of the year. For example, you’ll only be able to see the freshwater dolphins during the wet season, while the butterflies are only visible during the dry season.
- Go With a Tour Company – If you’re visiting Khao Sok National Park on a short trip, it is best to go with a reputable tour company like Elephant Hills.
- Get There Early – Since Khao Sok National Park is so popular, it’s best to get there as early as possible. If you’re going on an overnight stay, it’s also a good idea to wake up early and soak in the atmosphere.
- Buddy Up – The trails in Khao Sok National Park can be difficult. You’ll probably get lost, so it’s best to buddy up with someone who knows their way around, or an even better idea is to join a guided tour.
- Wear appropriate clothing: You will be in the jungle, so wear light and comfortable clothes. You will also be getting wet in waterfalls, so make sure your shoes are waterproof and easy to slip on and off. See our full ‘what to pack’ guide here.
- Apply mosquito repellent: The rainforest is home to a lot of mosquitoes, so make sure that you apply mosquito repellent before starting your adventure.
- Bring light and easy-to-carry bags: You will be trekking through a forest, so make sure that you have light and easy-to-carry bags.
- Have your ID and health insurance: Always carry your ID and have the appropriate travel insurance as you will be in a remote location.
Bottom line – is Khao Sok worth visiting?
Khao Sok is a hidden gem in Southeast Asia, it’s one of the most beautiful National Parks in Thailand filled with natural beauty and wildlife. If you are planning to visit Thailand soon, you must add Khao Sok to your bucket list. It’s definitely worth visiting and is a great addition to your trip to Thailand. We hope you enjoyed reading our article and found it helpful, please contact us to get more helpful tips on accommodation and tours in the rainforest.
When is the best time to visit Khao Sok? The best time to visit Khao Sok is from November to February.
Is it safe to travel to Khao Sok as a solo female traveller? Yes, Khao Sok is safe to visit as a solo female traveller.
What should I wear when visiting Khao Sok? Wear light, comfortable clothing that is easy to move around in.
What is the best way to get to Khao Sok? You can either go to Khao Sok by bus or fly to Surat Thani, which is the closest airport.
Is there internet and mobile connectivity in Khao Sok? No, there is no internet or mobile connectivity in Khao Sok.
Is Khao Sok a good place to Honeymoon? Yes, in fact, we have a whole post on how to Honeymoon in Thailand